Health and Wellness Continued!
We at TruVision hope you had a fantastic Christmas with your families and friends. And hopefully, if you are taking the TruVision products like truFix and truControl, you don’t even worry about packing on the holiday pounds!
The TruVisionproducts make it so easy to enjoy your lifestyle with little worry about the scale. Although, if you ask me, the scale should be your LAST indicator of how well you’re doing in your journey. You should see and feel a difference in your clothes, in your energy, and in your outlook on life, first and foremost. We often jump to the scale as reassurance that our progress is in fact, progress. But truthfully, that number is only the tiniest of indicators about your body. It is our hope over the course of this journey with this blog, that health and wellness becomes all-encompassing and that the scale becomes an afterthought.
Today we are going to talk about a lot of people’s least favorite thing: GROCERY SHOPPING! I promised to cut 40 minutes off your grocery trips, and make it at least somewhat enjoyable. For me, the minute grocery shopping took less time, the better I felt about it. The more I understood where to move my rickety, wobbly-wheeled cart and ignore the rest, shopping became a breeze…almost habit.
The first and most important thing of ALL the things is this:
- Make a List! If you shop with your eyes or your stomach, it will be bad news bears every time. Menu-making takes time. But it too becomes easier when your healthy lifestyle is more important than the junk food you’re used to buying. Your Menu can be as simple as this:
- Stuff for Tacos
- Stuff for Hamburgers
- Stuff for Salads
- Stuff for Pot Roast
This is still an indicator of what you need, and it will keep you away from what you don’t need.
If you see “Stuff for Tacos,” you will likely know that Tomatoes, Lettuce, Cheese, Ground Beef, Salsa, Peppers, and Taco Shells should be in your cart. When you see the “Stuff For Hamburgers” line, start mentally changing that list of items to try Thin Buns or leave off the buns entirely. Try lettuce-wrap burgers. They are AMAZING! Typically, I can eat two lettuce-wrapped burgers where I would only eat one with a bun. And more protein is good! So I always always forego the bun, even when I’m out at restaurants. It’s double patties and lettuce-wrapped for me every time! Thin Buns are a nice alternative to the regular buns as they are about half the thickness, fewer carbs, less gluten, and still quite filling. If you’re not quite ready to make the full jump to a gluten-free life, this is certainly a great burger-holding alternative. (We will discuss down the road why eliminating as much gluten as possible from your diet is a good thing. Despite all the claims that gluten-sensitivity is a sham, the proof for the benefits of a gluten-free lifestyle is in the gluten-free pudding…)
- Eat Before You Shop! This little-known trick of grocery shopping gurus is KEY! Make sure you eat a snack before you grocery shop. This will insure that you’re not hungry while surrounded by all the delectable delights a grocery store has to offer. Bring a snack bar with you. Make a rePLACE shake before you head out the door. Use your TruVision Health shaker bottle as both nourishment AND a talking point! If you don’t have time to eat, walk straight to the cold drink aisle, pull a Core Power or Muscle Milk off the shelf, and drink it while I shopping. I’ve done this more times than I can count. I always purchase the empty bottle, and I’ve saved myself the trouble of shopping hungry.
- Shop the Perimeter! This is the trick I learned a couple of years ago, and I’ve never looked back. THIS is the trick that saves you time and money. This is the trick that saves your health. Most grocery stores are laid out the same way. The fresh produce, meats, dairy, and refrigerated aisles are on the outside or perimeter of the store. The packaged/processed food is in the middle down the aisles. With little exception, you must Shop the Perimeter. Your grocery cart should contain 95% perimeter foods like fresh produce, fresh meats, eggs, cheese, yogurts, etc. The other 5% is when you sneak down a middle aisle for gluten free pasta, cans of tuna, peanut butter, oats/rice, or condiments. It is perfectly reasonable and should become a habit, to keep your cart turned to the edges of the store, and back to checkout. There is absolutely no need to wander up and down every aisle, catching glimpses of all the delightfully-processed pretend food and with the TruVision truControl Combo you will have will power over food like never before.
Three simple steps will change how you grocery shop: Make a List, Eat Before you Shop, and Shop the Perimeter. Every step on your TruVision Journey, is a step towards a better you. But you have to take that first step. So next time you’re at the grocery store, rePLACE shake in hand, fill your cart with foods that will change your health and change your life.